Tuesday, July 13, 2010

20-21 Jun 2010 Edinburgh





Sad:

1. Hard to find the hotel we booked. Got lost in the city of Edinburgh.
2. Hertz slammed us a penalty for scratching the car. Even more expensive than the car rental for the entire 11 days. Heart pain.
3. the hotel lady was really not a friendly one. She cringed and gave me the look whenever I press the bell so that someone can open the main door. It was when I came back to Singapore then I knew that I could have hold an extra key at 10 pound deposit. Gosh, if I knew this, lotsa friction between me and the hotel lady could have been avoided.

Happy:

1. Driving through the road bridge of Forth of Firth. and managed to find the hotel due to sheer dumb luck.
2. Weather in Edinburgh was nice and warm, no need jacket.
3. The room in the hotel is pretty spacious.

We started by walking to the Carlton Hill. The fellow tourists on the hill were very kind to let us know that many landscapes in Edinburgh was formed 350 million years ago due to volcanic activity. One guy even pointed to us where the dormant volcano is.



There is an Acropolis liked structure at the top called the National Monument.



We walked down to Princes Street, which is starts kinda from the foot of Carlton Hill.



I stayed in the Princes St Garden and enjoy the sunny weather.









Statue at each road leading out of Princes Street

Moon already came up, sun still not set yet.

The next day, we walked to the Royal Mile.


We didnt go inside the Edinburgh Castle as the entrance fee is quite expensive and, look at the queue.




We just spent the day around the Royal Mile, Arthur's Seat and Princes Street Gardens.



Carlton Hill as viewed from Carlton's Hill. Firth of Forth in the background.

Hollyrood Palace as seen from Arthur's Seat

Edinburgh Castle as viewed from Ross Fountain.

I went to Royal Scottish Gallery to look at some paintings. There was a painting on the wall that showed Edinburgh many years ago where railway tracks were not yet built. The lady in the gallery was quite patient in explaining to me what were the buildings in the painting. Pretty interesting.

I took a short train to cross the historic Firth of Forth Rail Bridge. It was quite a strudy bridge. Another passenger opposite me saw me carrying a Canon 450 and we started chatting. Though he stay in Edinburgh, many places in Scotland north of Edinburgh he has never been before. Well, I guess we always neglect the places closest to us.

Firth of Forth Rail bridge as seen from Queensferry.

Came back by the door bell again and this time i told the lady that tomorrow is my last day and I wont press the bell anymore. Spend the night packing and wonder how am I going to bring all the things to the railway station tomorrow. I am so going to be owned!!!

Budget strike scheduled tomorrow - sorry folks, i wont be ard!

No comments:

Post a Comment